Welcome guest, please Login or Register
forgot password?

Forum

Google Cardboard

13 February 2015 11:12 am

Dustin T.

• Total Posts: 8
Are there any plans to make Revizto compatible with Google Cardboard stereo panoramas?

My wish would be:
While running a normal version of Revizto Viewer on a monitor have the ability to "Link" the current view/movement controls to an app on the iPhone/Android inserted into Google Cardboard. You would then be able to control movement with the keyboard/mouse, but be able to "look around" using Google Cardboard. Additionally, multiple users could be hooked up to the same location but have the ability to look around independently. Essentially have a single driver to control the camera location for everyone, but each individual could look wherever they wanted. You wouldn't need to incorporate any of the Revizto functions into the Cardboard app since they could be accessed through the traditional Revizto Viewer interface open on the monitor.

The current limitations to Stereo Panoramas through Autodesk 360 is that they are fixed locations. Revizto could give you the ability to actually move around the project while looking around! That would be so cool!

16 February 2015 04:49 am

Alexey Zuev

• Administrator
  • Total Posts: 238
Hi Dustin,

Thanks for the feedback! Right now we are doing Oculus integration to be ready in Revizto 3.2. In our opinion, this should work much better than Google Cardboard. Will Oculus be a good solution for you or you think carboard is better?

17 February 2015 02:19 pm

Dustin T.

I definitely think that the Oculus is the way to go for the long term. The problem with the Oculus is that the price point is a significant barrier to entry for most firms.

Google cardboard is no means the best VR viewer out there. It is just cheap! I could see my firm giving our clients branded viewers and then sending them our Revizto models to explore.

If it was relatively simple to program a stereo view into Revizto I would say to definitely go for it. You would be the first to provide a navigable VR experience! The main thing that would need to be figured out is how to move the camera as you cannot access the phone while using google cardboard. Possibly the attached magnet for android devices or the headphone buttons for the iphone?

23 August 2015 12:08 pm

Maverick I. [28976]

• Total Posts: 4
Hi. First of all sorry for necroposting and then sorry for hiding behind my nickname.

I decided to post here because this idea (Using Google Cardboard to view something in revizto) become even more interesting now, when Oculus "will be mass produced soon" and cardboard can be bought everywhere for decent price.

The worst thing in it is that almost everything is done already - i've been watching my model using my phone after an hour of digging that way. But then days of digging further were fruitless because i can't get side-by-side image without oculus - only black screen.

To sum up. At least one person still interested in using Revzto+Cardboard, the only thing missed to do it is side-by-side view mode without oculus.

26 August 2015 09:59 am

Dustin T.

Now that the magnetic "button" works with iphone I think cardboard is a viable option for Revizto. Menus could be accessed by "looking" at them and then using the button.

Viewpoints are really the only thing you would need to access within the app.

Think about it!

27 August 2015 05:20 am

Dmitry Soldatenkov (Revizto)

• Administrator
  • Total Posts: 3
For Cardboard we have 2 problems:
1. Oculus uses a powerful graphic card of desktop and quite often it is not enough for heavy scene. Cardboard must use graphic card of smartphone and memory of smartphone. For heavy scenes it's really weak because we have to render 2 scenes with additional processing.
2. For normal control with Cardboard we need to buy a bluetooth joystick. I think it's the only way to get a control in Cardboard. It costs like Cardboard itself or more.

07 September 2015 05:30 pm

Arnold R. [28631]

• Total Posts: 6
So Dmitry, does that make it impossible or just limited?
I see a big problem with Oculus; three people sitting in my office, I need to use a sanitation wipe every time we pass the headset. Crazy. At least cardboard can be given away free to everyone. And a bluetooth joystick we can share without sharing nits.

11 September 2015 04:22 am

Maverick I. [28976]

Finally, I've found software combination to use cardboard with Revizto (And with Navisworks too! I think any CAD software which uses DirectX drivers will work that way).

Full setup: Windows PC - Revizto - TriDef Ignition - Trinus VR - Android smartphone in cardboard.

Actually, TriDef was last missing part in that puzzle in my case - when i've found this program everything else become pretty easy. Play with config a bit and you'll get results similar with oculus for less than 100$.

About hardware. I've tested this setup with pretty large model (like 10k objects) and it works smooth on 2 year old ultrabook (i3, 4Gb RAM, GeForce M720 1Gb). I've also opened same model in Navisworks - it's just a little slower, but works better with autodesk textures. May be it's my mistake, but in Revizto I have to make retexturing after import. When talking about pros and cons I'd mention first textures Navis>Revizto in that case and user-friendly controls Revizto>>>Navis (In that helmet you REALLY want gamepad).

11 January 2016 06:06 am

Eduardo S. [34423]

• Total Posts: 1
Hi Maverick,

Could you please explain in more detail this software combination to use Revizto with cardboard?
I am an architect and would like to try this before I get an Oculus Rift.

Thank you in advance,

Eduardo

25 January 2016 12:33 am

Thomas P. [27407]

• Total Posts: 2
Hi Maverick

I'd also really like to know more about this configuration. I've had succes with TrinusVR in combination with Revizto, but I'm lacking the actual 3D effect.
I've tried Tridef, but can't seem to get it to work with Revizto. It works great for a couple of games I've tried it on, but I couldn't seem to get it to acknowledge Revizto.

Any help with this, would be truly appreciated :-)

Thank you in advance..

27 January 2016 05:31 am

Maverick I. [28976]

Thomas P. and Eduardo S.

Sadly, it's been few month ago, and since then my Win10 died with this config as well, so not much I can tell you right now.
I think, i'll use saturday to restore this config, and I think I'll try to film it step by step and upload to youtube.

Maverick.

31 January 2016 09:12 am

Maverick I. [28976]

Well, video is being uploaded, it'll be available here
https://youtu.be/TvWuOljMfrI

Revizto -> TriDef Ignition -> Trinus VR
Works almost out of the box. The only problem is Power3D - you should turn it off, because it can't work properly with Revizto scene.
Default key combination to do it is Alt+Shift+V

Maverick.