Welcome guest, please Login or Register
forgot password?

Forum

CAD files created by some 3d party aps do not export correctly from Revit

12 May 2016 04:14 am

Allen B. [37226]

• Total Posts: 9
A CAD file is linked into Revit.  The Revit model and links are exported into revizto.  Some of the entities in the CAD file are missing or scale incorrectly.  Specifically the CAD file is from a fire sprinkler designer so they use their specialized software to create their CAD file.  Most of the pipe runs display correctly but there are entire sections that will be missing or certain pieces such as a gate valve that will be scaled way up.  It may have something to do with proxyobjects but I have not researched it further.

Here's a clue, however.  When I export the model with CAD links out of navisworks, all the entities are there and display correctly.

There is something in navis export that is handling the CAD file correcty but exporting from Revit does not.

Not an elegant solution but I'll export most of the model from Revit and then only export the fire protection model out of navis.  Then, everything shows up correctly but this is an undesirable workaround.

12 May 2016 04:18 am

Alexey Zuev

• Administrator
  • Total Posts: 238
Hi Allen,

Can you share any sample revit model with CAD link having such problems with me in a PM?

16 May 2016 07:19 am

Justin R. [39563]

• Total Posts: 5
I have found the same issue. When CAD files are exported from Revit, some objects are pulled into Revizto correctly, while others are off in space. I have begun exploring exporting each CAD model as an FBX and importing it into the Revizto model, one at a time. This keeps the location of the objects correct, but is a time consuming process and eliminates any object information that used to exist in the CAD models.

The Merge Scene function in the previous version allowed for an easier method of combining models from different softwares.

16 May 2016 09:25 am

Alexey Zuev

• Administrator
  • Total Posts: 238
Hi Justin,

As with the author of the original post, it would be great to get any sample files from you on which we can reproduce the error.

Thank you.

24 May 2016 06:52 pm

Hans W. [35142]

• Total Posts: 1
Similar issue here with the fire protection model.  It is an ACAD export that we imported into a blank Revit model and linked to our main model.  Somehow the X or Y direction of the FP model gets rotated to the Z axis.  Happy to share the model but it is too large to post here.  See image below for the issue.

Last Edit: 24 May 2016 06:54 pm by Hans W. [35142]