Welcome guest, please Login or Register
forgot password?

Forum

Toon Shader

12 June 2013 12:54 am

Shawn Ridenhour

• Total Posts: 8
Is there any chance of getting a toon shader similar to ones in Unity? It would be helpful to have a simple shader that can be applied to everything when a project is early on in the design stage. You could have a check box that overrides all of the objects with a simple shader such as a toon shader.

Attached is a screenshot from a Unity model I created that used toon shaders with textures.

13 June 2013 12:53 am

Oleg Maddox

• Administrator
  • Total Posts: 50
Could you explain us the use case of such a function for architects and customers?

13 June 2013 10:49 am

Shawn Ridenhour

• Total Posts: 8
When a project is in the early stages of a design, archietcts and designers are usually focusing on the massing and overall sense of space in the building. It often takes too much time to assign materials to all of the objects in the model, especially as it keeps changing or the budget does not allow for it at that time. In many cases, we are using products such as sketchup in a black and white line model with simple shading and shadows. In some rendering products such as Maxwell Render, there is often an option to choose a single material to apply to all objects at render time so that you get more of a clay model type of look.

Another thing about the toon shader is that you can get linework at edges of objects that gives it more of a sketchy feel that many clients and architects look for in a rendering or image.

13 June 2013 11:28 am

Oleg Maddox

• Administrator
  • Total Posts: 50
I think I understood your request.
At the moment you may build your model without textures and then simply use Revizto without calcualtiuon of light maps (you may export without light maps. In this case you will see real time shadows instead of baked).
The result will be probably very similar to what you want (but no light sources calculation except the sun).
Of course the surfaces if it isn’t “glass” must be defined as non trasparent in SU or Revit.
Let me know if it is working for you.

02 April 2014 04:22 am

Alexey Zuev

• Administrator
  • Total Posts: 238
We have added a Sketch Mode to the new Revizto 2.2. It should be great for your needs, Shawn.