Welcome guest, please Login or Register
forgot password?

Forum

Custom Assets in Revit

17 October 2013 11:54 am

David

• Total Posts: 7
(this was also posted at Revitforum.org)

I downloaded the demo (most impressed) and have a question.

I am currently creating custom appearance assets in Revit for my firm which use custom texture maps. When I create a material in Revit and set its properties to use my custom asset, the asset is not exported to Revizto even with "custom textures" checked. If I used a default revit brick material as a base for my new brick material, the Revit texture map comes into Revizto, even if I have changed the asset link in the Material.

Any ideas on why this occurs? We are very excited about this add-in, since our clients have been asking us for "driveable" models for some time now.

Thanks!

18 October 2013 12:40 am

Alexey Zuev

• Administrator
  • Total Posts: 238
Hi David,

The process of getting custom materials showed correctly is two-step. Firstly, you need to select the option "Export custom materials" during the export from Revit (this step you've done already).

Secondly, when the model is opened in Revizto Editor, you need to click the "Get Materials" toolbar button to convert the materials. (This should work with custom assets as well).

You need to have active Internet connection to perform this operation.

Be aware that Get Materials button will work only if you haven't saved your model in the editor already. Most likely you'll have to export your model from Revit again to perform this step.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Alexey.

Last Edit: 18 October 2013 01:13 am by Alexey Zuev
18 October 2013 11:51 am

David

I followed your instructions. None of the assets (texture or bump maps or settings) were brought into Revizto. The textures have the correct names, but none of the correct attributes, they are all simply grey.

I also created a scene with all materials and appearance assets purged from the revit project to begin with. I then imported one Revit appearance asset from the  Autodesk asset library and created 17 custom appearance assets starting from the generic asset, assigning new diffuse and bump maps, and saving the asset. I then created new materials (from scratch, not duplicating an existing material) and assigned that the appearance assets to the materials. I then created 18 boxes and assigned one material to each box.

Upon export to Revizto, the only box that had the appearance asset was the box using the material with the default revit asset. All of the rest were grey. When I clicked "Get Materials" the process timed out.

18 October 2013 12:09 pm

Alexey Zuev

• Administrator
David, sorry for the inconvenience!

Could you please share that 18 boxes Revit scene so I can test it? Based on the results, we'll be able to locate the reason of the problem.

Last Edit: 18 October 2013 12:25 pm by Alexey Zuev
18 October 2013 12:33 pm

David

What would you like me to send, our asset library references texture and bump jpegs that are located on our server (and thus would break if placed somewhere else unless the location was added in Revit's file locations), the Revit file, or the Revizto File?

No need to apologize, I'm excited about the potential and I'm glad that you're taking the time to help me out.

18 October 2013 12:37 pm

Alexey Zuev

• Administrator
Oh, this is more complicated than I thought :)

What I need is a Revit file which doesn't work correct on your side but contains all the needed materials/assets inside. Is it possible to send me such file?

18 October 2013 12:43 pm

David

I can create a file that contains a single material with a single asset that references a single jpg texture map. I can include send the jpg with the rvt file so that you can relink the file within revit so that it would be the same situation.

Would that work?

18 October 2013 01:05 pm

Alexey Zuev

• Administrator
Yes, that would be fine. Thank you.

05 November 2013 06:07 am

David

I downloaded the update and the first model I tried seemed to have pulled in my network-based custom material assets. When I saved and closed, then reopened, however, they seemed to have disappeared.

I am trying to test it with a different project but it is timing out during the "get materials" process.

I believe I may also be out of time on my demo. :)

05 November 2013 06:30 am

Alexey Zuev

• Administrator
Wow, that's weird. I will send you early beta of Revizto 2.0 next week so you can test whether it will change, because we will have a brand new exporter :)

05 November 2013 06:31 am

David

Sounds great!