Welcome guest, please Login or Register
forgot password?

Forum

Environment Settings

11 December 2013 09:22 am

Jason Demarest

• Total Posts: 13
I find that the shadow settings (time of day/year; north angle; location) in the viewer do not match what is set in the editor.  Is there a way to make them match?

PS. I wasn't sure where to post this

11 December 2013 10:43 pm

Alexey Zuev

• Administrator
  • Total Posts: 238
Hi Jason,

We have two separate scenes for Editor and Viewer. Scene for the Viewer updates to match Editor's scene every time you click on "Review" or "Sync" buttons. If this doesn't help you to make scenes match, could you please provide screenshots of mismatch and describe which parameters you've set (time of day/year; north angle; location)?

12 December 2013 08:10 am

Jason Demarest

Alexey,

Attached is a PDF with my environment setting and the scene appearance in the editor on the first page.  The second page shows the scene appearance in the cloud viewer and the regular viewer after syncing.  My review settings did NOT have "Bake Shadows" selected.  I'm testing this right now.  Could that be the issue?

I kept bake shadows off because I did not like the impact on the textures.  Perhaps you have some light map settings that minimize the effect that bake shadows has on the scene.

Thanks

Last Edit: 13 December 2013 05:54 am by Jason Demarest
13 December 2013 06:43 am

Jason Demarest

Update: The issue appears to be the Bake Shadows selection.  With that selected in review settings the environment settings do seem to carry over to the viewer.  However, the crisp shadow lines go away and the result is more of a diffuse shadow effect perhaps due to the ambient settings.  See attached PDF.

What light map settings will most closely match the shadow appearance in the editor?  I have also attached a screenshot of my light map settings and the resulting output in viewer.  I will try knocking ambient down to zero next.

16 December 2013 04:04 am

Oleg Maddox

• Administrator
  • Total Posts: 50
Hi Jason,

Thank you very much for your thorough input. 

1. To make shadows with sharp edges please don’t use Bake Sun Shadows function (uncheck this box in menu of editor. This function is also calculating the distribution of bounced and diffuse light )
2. To remove shadow frames around some objects in viewer, looking like ambient occlusion, please don’t use SSAO in graphics settings of the viewer.
3. To get better quality of light maps please use greater resolution of them (takes more time to calculate)

In addition to information above in menu of editor for calculation of light maps:
Ambient – it is additional highlighting in shadow zones.
Ambient occlusion range – it is the size of the “frame” behind or under the object, say, for example such as the picture frame on a wall, etc. Set it to zero if you don't like to use them (as well as in viewer - SSAO is Off).

16 December 2013 04:57 am

Jason Demarest

Oleg,

Thanks for the clarifications.  A few follow up comments/questions:

1. I'll try keeping Bake Shadows off.
2. I'll turn off SSAO.
3. Light map resolution was set to 5 and Light map quality has been set at either 30 or 40.  Any suggestions for the settings?
4. I have tried ambient set to 0 and 0.1 but will try again with setting adjustments above.
5. I think ambient occlusion range has been set to zero on all of my models.  Hmmm???

I'll update this post with some results later.

16 December 2013 05:36 am

Oleg Maddox

• Administrator
Answering your additional qiestions:

3. Where two walls are joined in Revit or SU there are some time occurs problematic zones for the mapping of light map textures. Better to make it in Revit as one wall. However, sometime increasing light map resolution (more is better = time is greater) is enough that such line between two walls (especially textures of one type on two different joined walls) will be less noticeable.  We are working over improvement in this direction as well.
 5. SSAO in viewer will create effect of ambient occlusion automatically even if it is set to zero in our editor.

16 December 2013 06:48 am

Jason Demarest

Oleg,

First, thanks for the tip on the two walls issue.  I can try to build my models differently but hope you can improve this in the future.

As for my recent attempt to get crisp shadow lines that match the sun settings in the editor, attached are the results of the new settings.  I turned off bake shadows and set ambient & ambient occlusion to zero.  Light map resolution was set to 15 and LM quality to 40.  I can see the impact of turning off SSAO in the viewer which is good but not really the issue.

The real issue at hand seems to be that without bake shadows selected my time of day settings are not translated to the viewer.

What is the best way to share my model with you?

16 December 2013 06:58 am

Alexey Zuev

• Administrator
  • Total Posts: 238
Jason,

The easiest way is to share via Revizto Cloud. Just click on "Share" toolbar button inside the Editor, enter my email address there after the model is uploaded (I will write it to you in a personal message) and click on "Invite". Don't forget to click on "Done" button at the bottom.

16 December 2013 07:14 am

Jason Demarest

Alexey,

I assumed you needed edit right so i gave them to you.

Thanks

17 December 2013 02:51 am

Oleg Maddox

• Administrator
Jason,

I got the same result - sun position isn't the same in viewer using your model shared across the cloud.
It is strange because I tested today several other models from Revit to check this issue and wasn't able to repeat such result - always was correct and exactly corresponding between editor and viewer. 
So, could you please share with us your original model? Say, to put on some ftp and give Alexey or me the link. Also tell us which version of Revit you are using to create this model - we will try to export this model from exact Revit version that to try to repeat such issue.

17 December 2013 04:48 am

Oleg Maddox

• Administrator
Jason,
probably we already found this issue.
Don't send us original model.
There are no corresponding sun-shadows only if' to set the date of January 1. Change the date, say, to January 2.
However we'll correct this minor issue in viewer.
Thank you very much for reporting such a bug!

Last Edit: 17 December 2013 05:10 am by Oleg Maddox
17 December 2013 04:55 am

Jason Demarest

Thanks Oleg.  I was just about to send it.  I await your update later.

17 December 2013 05:12 am

Oleg Maddox

• Administrator
Jason Demarest - 17 December 2013 04:55 am
Thanks Oleg.  I was just about to send it.  I await your update later.

Change the date - any except January 1 :).

17 December 2013 05:28 am

Jason Demarest

Confirmed!  Changing the date worked.

Thanks